It doesn’t matter what you are selling, this works.
Success will follow these three stages as detailed by Chris Garrett here.
- You attract attention.
- You retain that attention (email list, Facebook fan page, networking group member, LinkedIn connection, etc) and build a relationship.
- You make an offer and convert some percentage into sales.
The most difficult step is the first one. Getting the ball rolling is where most start tearing their hair out in frustration.
You need to attract attention. You need people to listen.
Here’s how you skip this step:
Find someone that your desired audience is already listening to and get access to that audience.
Why would someone give you access to their audience? Simple, because you will solve a problem for them. You will give them something that they need.
Here’s what they need:
- Content – The #1 problem these people have is that they need to have something to say tomorrow. And the next day. And the next day. If you can provide something high-quality and relevant that they can distribute to their audience, you’re in.
- To feel important – Everyone’s favorite subject is “me.” Offer to interview these folks, you’ll be surprised at their response and their willingness to share that interview with their audience.
- Exposure – If you can get them access to a new audience, you have the potential to get access to theirs.
You could build attention from scratch or you can look for the crowd and solve problems for the leader of that crowd. The latter allows you to skip Step 1.
And one more thing – when you get access to a crowd make sure you have the technology and processes in place to retain the exposure you will get to that crowd. If you don’t, your exposure will be a flash in the pan.